Call for Papers — Satellite Meetings
IFLA WLIC2022 Satellite Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 21-22 July 2022, Galway, Ireland
- 24 March 2022, 08:40
Theme: " New Horizons in Artificial Intelligence in Libraries"
Information Technology Section
Hosted by National University of Ireland, Galway
The IFLA Information Technology (IT) Section in collaboration with the National University of Ireland Galway Is delighted to call for proposals for a satellite conference in Galway, Ireland on the topic of Artificial Intelligence in libraries and information services.
There is increasing use of AI technologies in many aspects of library operations, including public and reference services, automated classification, customer service through chatbots and discovery systems. Vendors are adding elements of AI in library products including discovery and research platforms. IFLA recognises the importance of AI and the formation of a proposed AI SIG is currently under consideration.
The role and impact of AI present both opportunities and challenges. IT plays a significant role in the development and use of AI technologies, but its uses can have considerable impact and possible unintended consequences on library operations and services.
This in-person conference will provide an opportunity to explore AI, including practical implementation and opportunities on the horizon as well as the ethical, lack of transparency, and unconscious bias considerations. We are keen to see proposals that explore the important connections between the AI technologies and the operations and/or service side of all types of Libraries.
We invite papers, presentations, demonstrations, workshops and posters, and topics include but not limited to:
- AI technologies including natural language processing, machine and deep learning platforms, text mining, speech/facial recognition, multi format content recognition and processing, virtual agents, and decision management.
- Use of AI in open search and discovery systems and the impact on reference work and chat/question answer services.
- Innovation in service delivery and library operations including user interface design and user experience
- Use and impact of AI-optimized hardware and “smart” devices like Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple Siri.
- Search algorithms, and algorithmic literacy.
- Ethical considerations around AI, including algorithmic bias, privacy and transparency.
Submissions must include:
- Name, title, institution, country, and email of speaker(s)
- Brief biographical statement about each speaker (max 100 words)
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of presentation (max 300 words)
- Language of presentation
- Format (presentation, panel, workshop, demonstration, poster, etc.)
All proposals should be submitted by email to both the following contacts:
Dr Edmund Balnaves
Chair, Information Technology Section
Secretary, Information Technology Section
The deadline for submission is 15 April 2022 and successful submissions will be notified by 30 April 2022. Selection will be based on the abstract which will blind reviewed by the organizing team from the IT Section.
All proposals and full papers will be required to be in English. The full papers where provided (max 2500 words, double line spaced) are due on 6 June 2022.
15 April 2022 — Deadline for submission
30 April 2022 — Notification of selection
6 June 2022 — Full papers submitted with author permission form
21-22 July 2022 — Satellite conference
More information will be available soon on the conference website.
- At least one of the authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper or present their session during the program in Galway, Ireland.
- Authors of accepted full papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
- All papers that are presented at the Satellite Meeting will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
- All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.