Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Information Technology–Subject Analysis and Access Joint Session
- 29 March 2022, 10:27
Theme: "Agile in the Library: methods and tools for project management, collaboration and innovation"
The IFLA Information Technology Section and Subject Analysis and Access (SAA) Section are seeking proposals for papers to be presented at their Joint Open Session at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2022 in Dublin, Ireland, 26-29 July 2022.
Over the last years, libraries have adopted methodologies and tools from other professional areas to improve library management and services.
Agile project management is a popular software development methodology used in the IT field, based on iteration, user-focus and adaptation to change. Bringing together the best practices from IT development projects, this methodology can be applied successfully to organizations and services in library environments looking to quickly get a product or service in the hands of their patrons. Agile methodologies look to execute a plan by breaking it into smaller, easier-to-manage phases that deliver outcomes faster. Applying Agile principles in libraries, we move towards an organizational culture with resources and tools to deal with change and uncertainty, by a cross-functional, team-based strategy that focuses on users’ needs, helps improve our library workflow processes, ensures quality, and supports fast decision-making.
This session will explore cases of use and implementation of these methodologies in the library field, including the challenges and successes experienced in applying them to enhance library workflows and implementing new project management practices.
We invite papers particularly, but not exclusively, on the following sub-themes:
- Using Agile methodology and user-centered design for library projects development: use cases.
- Applying Agile principles for organization management, work management solutions, team management, process management and change management.
- Specific Agile tools and solutions in the library to increase operational efficiencies by tracking projects and workflows, visualizing data, and facilitating team collaboration.
- Multidisciplinary work teams in Libraries. Project management through the application of agile principles (design/methodology/approach).
Each presentation will be 20 minutes and in English. Time for Q&A will be scheduled after the presentations.
Proposals must be submitted in an electronic format and must include the following information:
- Email subject “IFLA Dublin Abstract Proposal IT-SAA Joint Section”
- Title of proposed presentation
- Abstract of the proposed paper (no more than 500 words)
- Name(s) of presenters and positions and or titles
- Employer or affiliated institution
- Contact information including email address
- Short biographical statement of no more than 100 words
- An indication of the sub-theme the abstract addresses
- Papers / PPTs will be published in IFLA’s online Library following conference
Send proposal abstracts (500 words or less) by 29 April 2022 to:
- 29 April 2022 (Friday): Deadline for submission of abstract
- 13 May 2022 (Friday): Notification of acceptance
- 13 June 2022 (Monday): Deadline for submission of presenter information and optional paper
- 11 July 2022 (Monday): Deadline for submission of slides
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the Open Session in Dublin. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
The paper must be an original submission not presented or published elsewhere.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses for attending the IFLA conference, travel, accommodation, etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Single day registrations are possible. More information on the conference is available at https://www.ifla.org/ifla-wlic-2022/.
A number of grants and awards are available every year for supporting delegates to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress, find some information here.